Tuesday 9 July 2013

Supermarket Turf Wars

Food shopping in North Walsham can be a frustrating experience especially if, like me, you are not blessed with a huge amount of patience. I tend to do my main grocery shops on-line, which perhaps makes me even more irritable when it comes to actually going into the store.
Until recently there was only really one supermarket in North Walsham and whilst I like their products, their customer service leaves much to be desired. As I normally only pop in for a few items I do not consider it wholly unreasonable to expect that such forays would last a matter of minutes rather than hours. Not so. (Ok, allow me a little poetic licence please)
Let's say, for argument's sake, that I have bread, milk, eggs and wine (or Mummy juice as Bryn used to call it) in my BASKET. As I have a BASKET I make my way to the BASKET only checkout only to be greeted with a queue of more mature people with TROLLEYS. There is only one, single, solitary BASKET only checkout in this supermarket. There are 7 or 8 TROLLEY checkouts. Why do you do it? Can you not read or do you just choose not to?
On one or two occasions, God forgive me, I have been persuaded to use the 'Self Checkout' tills. Now that's a mistake I will not be making again. It is quicker to queue behind the trolley pensioners believe me. 'Unexpected item in bagging area'. YES! THAT WILL BE THE SEVERED HEAD OF WHICHEVER GREY-SUITED MIDDLE MANAGER THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO INSTALL THESE ****** THINGS!
Then, just before Christmas last year a new more 'upmarket' store opened just down the road. Very polite staff, lots of basket only spaces and so convenient for those few bits and pieces I always forget. OK, you need to re-mortgage the house or sell a kidney to shop there but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment