Friday 12 July 2013

Stamp Competition.

Bryn has come home from school with details of a 'design a Christmas stamp' competition. Starting this in July seems a touch over-zealous, but he is keen, so I decided to give him my support and the full benefit of my wisdom. Whilst my artistic skills equal those of a partially sighted gorilla, I like to think that my strengths lie in the ideas department.
He said he wanted to do a picture of lots of presents in front of a Christmas tree. Nice, I thought, but it's been done before. (Blue Peter circa 1981?). I said why didn't he do a series of stamps telling a story? Make it realistic and a true reflection of a family during the festive season? This is what I came up with.

Stamp 1 - Christmas Eve. Mummy is slumped in a chair having drunk half a bottle of gin. Granny is arriving later and Mummy can't stand Granny. She says she has never been good enough for her precious son.

Stamp 2 - Christmas Morning. A picture of the still frozen turkey which someone forgot to take out of the freezer yesterday. Mummy is taking some tablets and saying 'We might as well have f******* pizza for lunch'

Stamp 3 - Mummy and Daddy are having a row as they vainly attempt to defrost the turkey with a hair-dryer. Daddy is shouting over the noise of the hair-dryer 'You've never liked my mother anyway have you?

Stamp 4 - January 4th. Mummy is signing some papers with 'Decree Nisi' written across the top and cutting all the sleeves off Daddy's suits.

I'm sure this wouldn't win any competitions but it would give the judges a bit of a laugh!

p.s. I am lucky enough for this NOT to be based on my life experience. I have the loveliest mum-in-law x

No comments:

Post a Comment