Monday 8 July 2013

Speaking Naarfolk

If you ever find yourself in this part of the world (i.e. If your Sat Nav has broken down) then you may find you need some help with understanding basic phrases. Here are a few you may hear when out and about.

  • Yew nart frum roun hair? - You haven't yet lived in Norfolk for 40 years.
  • Thassa roite noice traactur yew gort thair - I like your farm machinery.
  • Get orf moy laand - I think you are trespassing old chap.
  • Ah yew gunna warch Naarch? - Will you be attending the next Norwich City Match?
  • Oim garn up tarn. Yew cummun? - I'm going into the city. Would you like to accompany me?
  • Dew watta bare? - Would you like some alcoholic refreshment?
  • Moy hatta loive! - Goodness me! (my heart alive)
  • That tayk bout an aar. - You'll be travelling for approximately 60 minutes.
  • Oi doont loike nunna that forrun muck - I only eat English food.
  • Oi hint gotta naarfak axunt- I don't talk like a yokel.




No comments:

Post a Comment