Sunday 28 July 2013

More 'Speaking Naarfalk'

In an earlier post I taught you some basic phrases to help you get by should you find yourself in Norfolk, either by accident or by design. You learnt things such as...

Get orf moy laand - I think you are trespassing old chap.
and
Dew watta bare? - Would you like some alcoholic refreshment?

I do hope you've been practising and are now ready to go onto the advanced course. To get the full benefit you will need to say these out loud, perhaps several times. Don't worry if you're annoying the hell out of your family, or if the other people on the bus are looking at you funny. Trust me. I'm a teacher.

Yew oont get there noo faastuh - You have just overtaken me and are travelling at a good 30 mph faster than I am, but nevertheless we shall arrive at the same time

Thassa pih-ee Hoolt's gonter Wigun - What a shame Norwich City have lost one of their best strikers

Haya bintuh Crooma Pair? - Have you been to Cromer Pier?

Thas lovelee up Yaarmuth - It's very pleasant at Great Yarmouth (It's not - I will do a post on it soon)

Oi go-uh goo up the N un N Toosdee - I have to attend a hospital appointment on Tuesday

Three chairs for ..(insert name) ... - Nothing to do with furniture. What the speaker is trying to say is 'Three cheers...'

She done me a boo-iful bi-uh plaice - My wife cooked me some lovely fish

Moy hairins gooun - I don't hear so well these days

So, now you can confidently converse about football, ailments and Norfolk's finest tourist spots you should find yourself able to join in most conversations.







No comments:

Post a Comment