Thursday 11 July 2013

My Inner Baptist

I had a traditional Baptist upbringing, and despite the fact that I have now largely rejected the whole charismatic church package, it remains a significant, if unwelcome influence on my life even today. For example, if I am required to provide food for a social gathering I experience a strange compulsion to take quiche. I am also totally unable to even contemplate reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey' due to strict ideas about, well you know, sex. The Baptist guide to teenage boy/girl relationships could be summed up in one phrase. 'If you haven't got one, don't touch it'. I guess if you had the nerve to be a gay Baptist then the advice would be 'If you have got one, don't touch it anyway'.
My young son recently asked what a virgin was. I floundered about for a bit before deciding on "It's someone who hasn't had a boyfriend or girlfriend", and instantly imagining all sorts of unspeakably embarrassing and potentially incriminating scenarios where I had to explain to the head teacher/vicar/magistrate that what he actually meant when he said he wasn't a virgin was...You get the idea. When my sister-in-law (also indoctrinated from an early age and also a fellow escapee) heard about this question she said "What were you thinking of? You should just have told him it was someone who isn't married!"
A few months go I was in Barcelona with a colleague looking at the most beautiful designer coat. It was in the sale and there was only one left. I was umming and aahing about whether to get it, arguing that I didn't need it. "What do you mean NEED?", she asked incredulously. "Do you LIKE it? Will it make you feel good wearing it?"
"Yes", I replied, adding feebly "I can't help it. I'm a Baptist". It must have been an amusing scene to behold as my friend stood in the middle of Desigual, urging me in a loud voice, "Fight your Inner Baptist. Come on. Fight it and win". I did. I bought the coat and I love it. Now, whenever that little voice pipes up in my head telling me that I am 17 years old again and that I must eat quiche and not have sex I put my hands over my ears like a child and sing 'La, la, la not listening!'

No comments:

Post a Comment