Saturday 13 July 2013

Hard of Hearing

I appear to be following in some well-worn, pre-destined genetic paths by beginning to lose my hearing quite significantly in my 30s. Not wanting to be too predictable though, I have decided to lose only my middle frequency tones, i.e. the most useful ones, as they include speech. I have also made sure that I have one of the most ridiculous jobs for the hard of hearing, namely teaching, and languages teaching at that! My other career choice would have been Speech Therapy. Oh, the irony. Perhaps I should just give up and become a mime artist?
When I spoke to my boss about my affliction he was very sympathetic and understanding, saying that the school would pay for any 'reasonable adjustment' to help me and going on to suggest that I should have all the noisy classes so I would be able to hear them. Thanks, but I felt that the department's money would be better spent on a regular supply of 'Sancerre' to help me come to terms with my disability. I'm still waiting for that one!
My pupils have their own unique way of 'helping' me too. Their logic dictates that as I can't hear middle tones, then if they speak in a high pitched squeak or a bass-baritone growl then I should be able to understand them. Doesn't work but does make me laugh.
So, no doubt I shall be spending many more happy hours waiting in the audiology department at my local hospital. It's hilarious. They can't pronounce my name properly (being a bit Welsh and all that) and I can't hear it anyway! I am one of the few people in the country actually looking forward to growing old and losing their high frequency tones. At least then I'll be eligible for hearing aids!

No comments:

Post a Comment