Wednesday 7 August 2013

Unwanted Hair

 As a three year old, Bryn turned to me and asked very seriously, "Mummy, if you could have one wish what would it be?" I was just weighing up in my mind the relative merits of world peace and an end to child poverty when he piped up, "I bet it would be hair-free legs wouldn't it?" At the time I laughed, but if he asked me the same question today then a lack of body hair would feature fairly high on my wish list.
You see, I am rather more hirsute than I feel comfortable with at present, due to not really having had a proper bathroom for 10 days (see post 'The Bathroom' for further details). As a general rule, and to spare the sensitivities of the rest of the population, I tend not to be one for baring too much flesh. It is thanks to the law of sod that the only spell of adulthood where I have not had ready access to soap, water and shaving foam, has coincided with one of the longest spells of warm weather I can remember. A dilemma then. Do I go for comfort and risk tendrils of under-arm fuzz escaping for public viewing and stubbly white legs being on show, or wrap myself in leggings and a long-sleeved top?
Fortunately the bathroom should be finished today. I can get out all my depilatory accoutrement and even if it snows tomorrow I shall be out there in my shorts and vest top.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how old you are, but I find that as I get older, I don't care so much about the hair that grows everywhere except my head. However I do feel badly that I passed my hairy genes on to my adorable 12-year old daughter, who has very hairy arms, legs, and a big patch of hair that grows down her neck. She also has a fuzzy back. I hope she always has a working bathroom, and I hope you're able to use yours soon. By then, maybe you can make a nice pillow out of all your hair clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in my 40s Cathy and yes, am much less bothered about being smooth legged than I used to be! Have now managed to shave. It was either that or start plaiting them!

      Delete