Wednesday 10 July 2013

Working Mum

I'd be happy to bet whatever I had left after bailing out the Eurozone that many of my readers are of a similar 'demographic' to me. I have no idea if  'demographic' is the correct word to use here but it makes me sound as if I know what I'm talking about so it's staying. Anyway, what I mean is I would guess that many of you are female, 40 something, a child or two and probably a job and by 'job' I mean one you get paid for.
Being a Working Mum is fraught with manic juggling and difficult choices. The first rule of 'Working Mum' is don't expect to get it right. The second rule of  'Working Mum' is don't expect to get it right. I can remember that pang of guilt combined with amusement that I experienced when Bryn, aged only 2 at the time asked, "Daddy. Did Mary go back to work after Jesus was born?"
I'm sure that Mary had a much stronger faith than I do and relied on the Lord (and Joseph) to provide. However, Boden, White Stuff and Radley did not exist back then so she was at something of an unfair advantage! All that temptation removed!
One of the things I do notice about being a working mum is that it leaves me tired and irritable. Bryn and I used to play a game where we drew shapes on each others' backs and had to guess what they were. On one occasion he drew a star and said "That's what you are, Mummy". For a moment I felt quite choked up before he added "I didn't know how to draw a grumpy cow!"
Anyway that is all I have time for right now as I need to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment