Tuesday 23 July 2013

Family Sayings

We all have our little sayings and private jokes, and it can sometimes only take a word to make an entire family fall apart laughing, whilst others look on dry-eyed, bemused and with their sides firmly intact. Even if these jokes were explained they would probably not be hugely amusing to others. For example, our family only has to say the word 'plastic' in a Welsh accent at the sight of something rather cheap looking to have the whole room clutching their stomachs and crying real tears of mirth. It all sprang from a great aunt describing the handles on her husband's coffin, of all things, but I bet you're not even having a mild chuckle to yourself at that one.
However, there is one lovely little story I would like to share with you if I may which dates back to my son's days at nursery. He would sometimes stay there for his tea on the days when I was working a bit later, which was served at about 4.30pm. Clearly it had been a long day, not only for the children but for some of the staff too. On one such evening I picked Bryn up and took him home asking how his day had gone. "I told Sharon I loved her today", he told me. (Sharon was one of the more mature staff at the nursery and clearly immune to flattery).
"Aww, that's lovely Bryn", I replied. "What did she say?"
"She said 'Eat your sandwiches'", came the matter-of-fact reply.
So now, if there is ever a situation where there is a potential unwanted or embarrassing show of emotion brewing then the phrase 'Eat your sandwiches' generally features.

No comments:

Post a Comment