Sunday 4 August 2013

Great Yarmouth: New and Improved

Nothing has stirred up as much strength of feeling so far on Normal for Norfolk as my previous post on Great Yarmouth (http://normalfornnorfolk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/a-tour-round-norfolk-great-yarmouth.html). I must confess to having written the piece based on experiences from my childhood and hearsay. Much of this has come from pupils at the school where I teach, many of whom come from Yarmouth themselves and it was a former pupil who first introduced me to the nick name 'Not so Great Yarmouth'.
Apparently the rather nightmarish seaside resort of my childhood (we used to get dragged there on Sunday School outings) has cleaned up its act a lot. So, in order to do justice to the 'New and Improved' Great Yarmouth, I felt I should produce a 'New and Improved' review.
Some of my ramblings would remain the same, even in the light of glowing reports from friends and family. I still maintain, for example, that 'premier' is a bad choice of word to use in any attempt at positive marketing and that we cannot possibly claim to have dry and sunny weather all year round.
However, I have been urged to visit Yarmouth to sample the delights of greyhound racing (literally rather than metaphorically going to the dogs for a change; at least it wasn't going to pot), riding on the snails (much like getting a Sanders bus to work I should imagine) and visiting the Nelson museum. Apart from Stephen Fry and 'Alan Partridge' I suppose Nelson is the only famous Norfolk person we can boast.
So, maybe Norfolk's Premier Beach Resort is worth a sneaky visit after all. By the way, no one has come forward in support of the Merrivale Model Village so I assume that is just as I described it in my last post?




3 comments:

  1. Glad there have been other defenders of GY, I like it, but especially in the off-season. The faded grandeur of the buildings along the sea front, the birds on the beach, the market with its local vegetable stalls from Caister, I just find it's an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rach. I must go and visit this summer.

      Delete
    2. And today been to the circus at the Hippodrome - excellent show, all of us from 8 to 79 yr old enjoyed it!

      Delete